CABERFEIDH SHINTY CLUB
Caberfeidh Shinty Club was formed in
1986 at a meeting held within the Spa Pavilion, Strathpeffer.
The meeting had been called to discuss the formation of a
combined team to represent Strathpeffer and the crafting
township of Knockfarrel which lies on the higher ground to the
south of Strathpeffer and which separates the valleys of the
Peffery and the Conon. The chief initiator at the meeting was
William F. Gunn, the son of the Cromartie Estate factor at the
time, and it was at his suggestion that the new Club was called
Caberfeidh. Two separate Clubs, Strathpeffer and Knockfarrel,
had existed prior to the meeting in the Spa Pavilion.
Since its formation in 1986 the Club
has played its matches on grounds owned by Cromartie Estate and
has recently been granted a lease by the Estate to enable grant
funding to be obtained in order to construct a new sports
pavilion at Castle Leod, Strathpeffer in conjunction with the
Strathpeffer Highland Gathering Association.
The Club has experienced
considerable success over the years at all levels and is at the
forefront in the encouragement of shinty in schools and at youth
level running weekly coaching sessions in local primary schools
and also youth coaching sessions at the Club training nights.
The Club is one of the most senior
Sports Clubs within the Strathpeffer area and has always
maintained strong links with the Community. Several of the
original Club members were also members of the Strathpeffer
Highland Gathering Association when it was formed in 1882, and
there are still direct descendants of these original members
active in both organisations today.